May 21, 2013

BBQ Ribs

Saturday night we had a couple of our friends, my brother and his girlfriend over for dinner.  I've been good friends with since elementary school. We played basketball together on a travel team. After some games, our parents would take us out for ribs. At 10 years old we could eat ribs like I imagine 15 year old boys would. During the winter, her and I agreed we needed some ribs. I've made them before, and she doesn't cook anything other than toast, so it was all on me.

I found this recipe on Pinterest and you can find it HERE. If you're lazy and don't want to click around different places, I'm taking the work out for you. I also took pictures. Check me out. The original recipe has measurements for 2 pounds and 6 pounds. Since I'm lazy too I cooked for 6, you're getting the 6lb measurements. Here we go.


3 T. sweet paprika (honestly, I had enough paprika for about 1 T. I got in the spice cabinet and threw some shit in the bowl)
2 T. light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
6 lbs baby back ribs (there are 2 packages for a total of 6lbs)
3 cups BBQ sauce (I recommend Sweet Baby Rays just becuase I use it for eve-ry-thing that has bbq)
vegetable oil spray


1. Mix dry ingredients together to make the rub.
2. Cut the ribs into sections. 2 slabs cut into 6 sections very nicely.

 
 
3. Spread the rub all over both sides of the ribs. Get on down with your badself and use your hands.
4. Arrange the ribs in the crockpot with the meaty side against the walls of the pot. (5 fit around in the circle, then one on the bottom). After you put the pork puzzle together. drown it in BBQ. The recipe calls for 3 cups. I used just about the entire bottle. (if its sauce and it requires more than a cup, I just go for it.) Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 7 is just right. Anything after that? I have no experience.
 
5. Turn your broiler on in your oven. After you are done cooking, very very carefully remove the ribs and place them on a wire rack that is sitting on a foil lined cookie sheet, meaty side down. They will fall apart if you just willy nilly pull them out with tongs. Then very very carefully dump the juices into a pot. Bring the juices to a boil and let the juices reduce. (Recipe says about 15 minutes of simmering. My patience doesn't run that long and I usually give it about 8-10)
6. Brush the juice onto the boney side and put in the oven for 3-5 minutes. Take the ribs out, flip to meaty side on top, then brush with juice again. You'll put the ribs back into the broiler for about 3 minutes. Take them back out, DON'T FLIP, brush again, put back in for 3 minutes. Then do it again. You're done.
 
I don't have a picture of the final product, blogger fail I know. I'm happy to report that all plates were clean and bellies were full. My brother even said "these are great" and if he dishes out a compliment that wasn't fished for, you're onto something.
 
Hope you get a chance to enjoy these. They are the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment