May 15, 2014

The only thing I miss about high school

From March until the end of May, the first thing I think about when I walk outside around after I leave work is if the weather is good softball weather. In March when it's still really cold out but about 40, I think "oh we'd definitely be practicing in this." Or last week when it was nearly 90 I think, "God I don't miss putting those God awful, flattering-on-no one, white pants on. But I also wish I could put them on." The softball team wore those same style of pants for at least 18 years. When they ordered new ones my junior or senior year, they ordered the same damn style. Of course the next year they ordered awesome black pants. I made sure the coach knew I was pissed.

See what I mean


I played softball from the time I was old enough for coaches pitch until I graduated. It was a HUGE part of my family and took up majority of our summer every year. When I say majority, I mean about 80-90% of our summer. We LIVED at the ball park. A lot of dinners consisted of nachos or McDonald's drive thru at 9:30 or 10pm. I think one summer between my brother and I, we had 90 games. Ninety. My parents were rock stars. One would go with me and one would go with my brother. The next weekend or night there was a conflict, they would switch.

Softball is the one and only thing I miss about high school. Sure, proms were fun and so were football and basketball games. But softball was the best. Even though it caused a lot of back pain (extra vertebrae, messed up tailbone. its a hot mess back there) and there was always some sort of drama (small town sport politics, anybody?) it was always my favorite part. Once March rolled around, I started getting anxious and ready to get rolling. Each season I played less and less because of my back, but I still got to hit. My favorite part.  I hated playing in the field so I didn't care. Even after playing softball for 13 years at the point I still couldn't judge a fly ball to save my life. . But stepping up to the plate and hearing the bat meet that  perfect pitch. The sweetest sound. Especially when it lands over the fence :)

I've been missing this part of my life lately. But it's that time of year. That time of year when the weather is perfect for a game, or you worry about the rain canceling a conference game. I loved going out to the barn at home after a game and recapping with my dad. The good, the bad and the ugly. I think that's another reason why I've been missing it so much. One of the first things people think of when they think about my dad is baseball. He was known for his pitching in the entire county. I honestly think there are still some grown men who are pissed.

Danny has been encouraging me to get involved with coaching at the high school next year. A couple years ago a family friend asked me if I would be interested in a few years when she took over and drunk Erin that didn't have a baby yet said "SUUUURE!" not realizing how much I really have on my plate. Maybe that will be my motivation to clear some things off and do something for myself. We'll see. But for now, I'll keep thinking about all that sectional championship my senior year. (I sound like such a 40 year old man)

7 comments:

  1. Softball is the one and only thing I miss about HS too. I went on to play slow pitch for about 9 years after HS and then I had and accident and was forced to take the summer off then had Carter the following and was forced to take off again. I picked it back up the following summer for another 3 years and then met my husband and I haven't put my cleats on since... almost 6 years later and my ball bag is still traveling around in my trunk (I just can't give it up).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it!!! I've pushed my Hubs into an adult soccer league for the same reasons. Bonus is that it helped him find new friends in the area while doing something he loves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never played softball well I tried out once but I was in the outfield and I thought a bird was the ball LAME!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I miss it too, so much! Getting involved in coaching would be so much fun! I often think about joining an adult league just to play and get some adult interaction... so far I haven't done it yet though. I miss it though, I totally get where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played up until 8th grade and I really regret I didn't play in high school. We have a coed league at church and I am thinking when Kennedy gets older I may have to join!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I coach high school kids--BEWAREEE! :) im only kind of kidding when I say they are way worse now than I ever remember being. But it really is so much fun being a coach :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooove softball! I coach my daughters softball team and I play on a slow pitch women's league. I pitched my first game in I don't know how many years this week and only walked 2 people, so I think that is a success!

    ReplyDelete