Aug 6, 2014

Weigh In Wednesday

A post from me 2 days in a row? It's a blogging miracle!

If I've ever needed a weight check in, it's now. However, I don't have any stats this week since I forgot to weigh myself before I ate breakfast. I don't want that large bowl of oatmeal throwing the scale off :)

A week and a half ago I got the orders from Tucker's pediatric GI doctor to remove dairy from my diet. The naïve and uneducated Erin thought "no problem, I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds while saving $30-40 a week and helping my baby feel better" Cutting out dairy is f'ing hard.
 

I had no idea what I was getting into and how much dairy was in the "healthier" foods that I eat. Laughing cow cheese, certain breads, most salad dressings, yogurt... Basically dairy was in almost every thing I eat and included in every meal. 

I've spent the last week and a half researching and brainstorming ideas on how I can still enjoy the foods I eat. With me being unprepared and having little knowledge, I've been eating poorly. I unfortunately remembered reading that Oreos are dairy free. I ate all an entire package with the, exception for 5 or 6, over the weekend. Another unfortunate thing is that salads from fast food restaurants are likely out of the question now. I believe most of them are pre-made so I would feel like a total dickhead asking them for no cheese. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) This leaves me ordering a burger and fries, but not before I Google the restaurants allergen menu. Most restaurants have them available online so that is super helpful.

Now that I am almost 2 weeks into it, I feel a little better about the whole thing and am getting better with my choices. Plus, it forces me to be prepared. I've said many, many times that if I don't plan ahead, I fail miserably. For instance, last night Danny and I went to Olive Garden for our anniversary. It was there or Chili's after I had done my research and I knew what I could order from both places. I knew all day long yesterday that for dinner I was going to have breadsticks (still unsure about the butter on them. The allergen menu said they were dairy free but Lose It says there is butter.), pasta e fagioli soup (I about cried when I found out there was parmesan cheese in the salad dressing) and spaghetti with meat sauce. Not counting the 9 oz small glass of wine, I walked out of Olive Garden just 97 calories over my daily limit. Had I been able to eat dairy, I probably would have been an entire days worth over. So, this might not be so bad after all.
 


Over the next week, I'm going to try really hard to document what I eat and then share with the class next week!

3 comments:

  1. Definitely a tough transition! And the fact that you had a good meal at Olive Garden and hardly went over your calories is a HUGE win in my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be tough. I am sure that it will get it easier as you learn more. I guess it is like any new thing. As far as fast food salads go, I know Subway fixes them fresh. I have had good luck with Chik-filet as well being willing to make substitutions. I have called ahead to places and asked when I needed to. I know that doesn't help for spur of the moment, but most places are very willing to work with you. I am always nervous about asking, but I have had really good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not eating dairy is HARD! I stopped when I thought I might be lactose intollerant and it was a struggle to find acceptable substitutions. Non-dairy cheese is just gross. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete